GREAT POSSIBILITY FOR A YOUNG RADIO PRODUCER
The closing date for the entry of submissions for the 2012 Åke Blomström Memorial Prize is 27th January 2012
Each year young and promising feature makers have the possibility to get money from the Åke Blomström Memorial Prize to attend the International Feature Conference. The prize money will cover the travel, the stay and living expenses during the conference. On the IFC, the young feature makers will meet experienced feature makers from all over the world, and listen to and discuss a broad range of inspiring radio documentary programs, in addition to workshops and seminars on radio documentary making.
Next year the IFC will be held in London, UK: 13th to17th May 2012.
Who can get an Åke Blomström Award?
- Any young and unrecognised feature maker aged 35 years and under on the closing date for application in any given year
- They may be freelance producers or employees of broadcasting corporations and institutions involved in and/or attending the International Features Conference. The working language on the IFC is English.
- The prize cannot be given to feature makers who have attended the EBU Master School on Documentaries, or earlier have been given the Åke Blomström Memorial Prize.
- All submissions should be made by individuals, i.e. group entries are not acceptable.
The following should be sent to each member of the selection committee listed below:
- A short CV including date of birth, education and radio career to date
- A letter of support from the relevant broadcasting corporation or institution
- A complete program not exceeding 30’ duration
OR a coherent excerpt up to 25’ duration, preferably from the beginning of the program.
The program/program excerpt should be sent to the committee members either by uploading the audio file to the ftp-server:
FTP address: ftp://ftp.ebu.ch
(The audio file must be clearly named with “ABA” (Åke Blomström Award) and with the “name” of the author.)
OR on 5 CD copies, one to each committee member, sent by post. No author may submit more than one program/excerpt.
- A short summary of the program in English, to be sent as hard copy or via e-mail to each member of the selection committee.
- A complete transcript/translation of the submission in English, to be sent as hard copy or via e-mail to each member of the selection committee. Programs without transcript will be rejected.
The closing date for the entry of submissions for the 2012 Åke Blomström Memorial Prize is 27th January 2012. In order for a submission to be considered, each member of the selection committee should have received the materials listed above by the closing date.
The prize was established in the late 1980s in honour of Åke Blomström (31/12/31 – 31/5/85), for many years Head of Documentaries in Swedish Radio and deeply committed to the work of his young colleagues. Today, the Åke Blomström Memorial Prize is a joint venture between SR (Sweden), DR (Denmark), YLE (Finland), NRK (Norway), RBB (Germany), ORF (Austria), BRT (Belguim), HRT (Croatia) and RTÉ (Ireland) who together sustain the prize by means of an annual donation into a bank account held under the aegis of the EBU.
selection committee 2012
ORF Ö1 Feature
PL 89, Box 89
Documentarydepartment RH 5C
S -105 10 Stockholm
The selection committee will reach its decisions by 28th February 2012. On that date all entrants will be notified of the result. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail or telephone.
Chairperson, Åke Blomström Memorial Prize
0043 – 1 50101 18425, or 0043– 676 617 36 81